World Para Athletics Championships Dubai 2019
The World Para Athletics Championships get underway in Dubai this afternoon (AEDT). The competition is on from 7-15 November.
More than 60 nations are due to compete over the eight days of competition.
Statistics and Superlatives Australian team World Para Athletics Championships
- The Australian team in Dubai for the ninth World Para Athletics Championships are a mix of enormous experience and rising stars.
- 34 Aussies will compete with eight on debut at the senior world championships.
- There are five teenagers in the team and the average age is 27 years.
- There are six who will attempt to defend their world titles they won in London in 2017. (Cam Crombie F38 Shot, Deon Kenzie T38 1500m, Evan O’Hanlon T38 100m, Jayden Sawyer F38 Javelin Throw, James Turner T36 400m and Madi de Rozario T54 5000m)
- The 27 athletes, not on debut, have combined competed at world championships on 72 occasions. At those world championships they have won 75 medals, including 10 athletes who have won 25 world titles.
- There is also significant Paralympic Games experience, 24 athletes have made 40 Paralympic Games appearances. 14 athletes have won 36 medals, including five athletes have been Paralympic champions, winning nine titles.
Thanks to Paralympics Australia and Seven West Media, the event is being broadcast live and free on 7Plus, with a daily highlights show on 7Two at 2:00pm AEDT.
For online live results visit HERE