Head photo: Thanks Athletics Australia.
Australian marathon runner, Lisa Weightman, has smashed both the World Championships and Olympic marathon qualifying standards with a brilliant run of 2:23:15 at the Osaka Marathon yesterday. The time was a new PB and moved the 44-year-old to number three on the Australian all-time list.
Australia’s All-Time Top 10 – Women’s Marathon as of 27/2/2023
1. Sinead Diver, 2:21:34 – Valencia, Spain (4.12.22)
2. Benita Willis, 2:22:36 – Chicago, USA (22.10.06)
3. Lisa Weightman, 2:23:15 – Osaka, Japan (26.2.23)
4. Lisa Ondieki, 2:23:51 – Osaka, Japan (31.1.88)
5. Eloise Wellings, 2:25:10 – Nagoya, Japan (13.3.22)
6. Jessica Stenson, 2:25:15 – Perth, Australia (17.10.21)
7. Nickey Carroll, 2:25:51 – London, Great Britain (18.4.99)
8. Kerryn McCann, 2:25:59 – London, Great Britain (16.4.00)
9. Ellie Pashley, 2:26:21 – Nagoya, Japan (10.3.19)
10. Milly Clark, 2:25:59 – Melbourne, Australia (12.12.21)
Weightman jumped one spot ahead of idol, Lisa Ondieki. Weightman had the following to say:
“What a day! Thank you to our wonderful family and friends who have supported me on this journey to 2:23! As a teenager, a defining moment in my career was watching Lisa Ondieki at Zatopek with Dad and Dick (@team_telford). I will never forget where I was standing at Olympic Park when I said to them “One day I’d love to run as fast as Lisa – she’s amazing!” I set out on this journey and Today I did it! Thank you Lisa O. You inspired a little girl who year after year was told she wasn’t good enough and went on to prove that she is! ”
View this post on Instagram