“The marathon was what it was all about in those days.” – Pat Carroll
- Coaches: Pat Clohessy, Dick Telford
- Date of birth: 17 August 1961
- 1500m: 3:39.03
- 3000m: 7:47.66
- 5000m: 13:25.49
- 10,000m: 28:30.55
- 10,000m road: 28:00
- Half marathon: 61:11
- Marathon: 2:09.39
- 1st place – 1995 Beppu Marathon (2:09:39).
- 4 time winner of the Gold Coast Marathon 83/84/88/97.
- 2 time winner (94/96) Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon
- Current holder of the Australian all comers record for the Half Marathon.
- Represented Australia 18 times
- Finished in the top 8 at three Commonwealth Games
- 1991 Australian Cross Country Champion
“His versatility and volume of wins and fast times stands up against almost any other Australian” – Len Johnson
By any measure, Pat Carroll is one of Australia’s best distance runners. He certainly has claims to being the most versatile. Carroll remains fourth on the all-time marathon list. He also ranks high at 1500 metres, 3000 and 5000.
On the track, Carroll was sub-3:40 for 1500 metres and he defeated many of the Auckland 1990 Commonwealth Games 5000 metres favourites in a pre-Games 3000 in Sydney, running 7:47. Carroll was good at taking his chances, at seizing the moment. That is exactly what he did in Beppu in 1995 when he became the fourth Australian to go sub-2:10 with a win in 2:09:39.
Training, Sacrifice & Fatigue
RUNNER’S TRIBE PAYS OUR WRITERS & FILM MAKERS TO CREATE EXCITING & ENTERTAINING CONTENT. HELP SUPPORT THESE PROFESSIONALS AND JOIN RT PREMIUM NOW.
TO VIEW THIS CONTENT PLEASE SIGN-UP TO RUNNER'S TRIBE'S MEMBERS ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT. WE HAVE SOURCED THE WORLD'S TOP WRITERS AND FILM MAKERS TO DELIVER ANY ATHLETE, COACH, PARENT OR FAN THE ULTIMATE PORTAL FOR ATHLETICS EDUCATION, ENJOYMENT AND INSPIRATION.