Ignore Circuit & Weight Training at Your Peril – Lessons from Peter & Seb Coe
© 2019 Runner’s Tribe, all rights reserved.
- British Milers Club. Volume 2, Issue 4, Autumn 1992.
- Better Training for Distance Runners. By David E. Martin and Peter N. Coe.
“It was the long and careful attention to strength training, that enabled a slightly built Seb Coe to run successfully in 400m events and relays” (Seb’s 400m PB 46.87) – Peter Coe
Peter Coe always argued that carefully tailored strength training was crucial for the development of Sebastian Coe. To be a top middle distance athlete Peter Coe argued that:
“A middle distance runner needs to have good repeatable 400m speed. Any sprint coach will tell you that over and above the mastery of starting and technique generally, the absolute must for really fast work is raw animal strength”. – Peter Coe
Coe also argued that the common myth that weight training led to muscle bulk was incorrect. Stating that:
“Exercises to develop strength and endurance are not those used for producing hypertrophy”
Strength Training Guidelines
The following guidelines outline Coe’s circuit and weight training philosophy:
- Strength training should not be restricted to the winter months but should be a year-round commitment. However, the exercises should be tapered down right before the period of peak performance (target races etc).
- Flexibility and stretching is a vital aspect of circuit and strength training.
- With exercises, progression is best made by increasing the number of repetitions, rather than increased the weight/load.
- Progress with the circuit training ever so smoothly and slowly, to avoid injuries.
Seb Coe’s CircuitBase Training Program
RUNNER’S TRIBE PAYS OUR WRITERS & FILM MAKERS TO CREATE EXCITING & ENTERTAINING CONTENT. HELP SUPPORT THESE PROFESSIONALS AND JOIN RT PREMIUM NOW.
TO VIEW THIS CONTENT PLEASE SIGN-UP TO RUNNER'S TRIBE'S MEMBERS ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT. WE HAVE SOURCED THE WORLD'S TOP WRITERS AND FILM MAKERS TO DELIVER ANY ATHLETE, COACH, PARENT OR FAN THE ULTIMATE PORTAL FOR ATHLETICS EDUCATION, ENJOYMENT AND INSPIRATION.